Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Where's Hot Water When You Need It?

We had some water issues in the lunchroom at work today - due to circumstances beyond our control, we had no water dispensing from the water spout on the refrigerator, nor did we have any cold water coming from the faucet.  We had hot water, though, so I guess it wasn't a total wash out.  But after lunch when we instinctively went to the kitchen sink to wash our hands, an interesting thought occurred to me: how come when we want hot water, it takes forever for it to get hot; but when we don't want it to be scalding hot, it usually is?

Case in point, today at lunch.  As I said, we didn't have any cold water in the lunchroom, and after lunch I went to the sink like I always do to wash my hands.  Any other time if I'd turned on the hot water, it would have taken ten minutes for it to get hot.  But today, it took about ten seconds.  It just didn't make any sense.  If I'd been at home and wanted some hot water from the faucet for a cup of instant coffee or tea, it would have taken ten minutes of the water running for it to get hot.  But today when I was hoping that the water would stay cool so I could wash my hands, it came out scalding hot as soon as I turned the faucet on.  If I'd wanted the water to be hot, it would have taken forever. Not today; it took just seconds.  Like I said, it just makes no sense. 

 

No comments: