Thursday, April 26, 2007

New Product Review

You already know that I love to be one of the first to try new beverages when they're first introduced; as editor of TWIT I consider it a responsibility to my faithful readers.  Yesterday while shopping at the grocery store, I discovered Diet Coke Plus - a new beverage brought to us by the good folks at Coca Cola.  The label on the bottle was pretty jazzy, and I knew I had to try one. I wondered what the "plus" would be in the Diet Coke and after reading the jazzy label, I was surprised to find out that the "plus" was vitamins. Yes, vitamins - vitamins not normally found in a soft drink.  Each 8-ounce serving of Diet Coke Plus provides 15% of the daily requirement of niacin and vitamins B6 and B12 and 10% of zinc and magnesium.  Now that's pretty impressive for a soft drink, especially when they tell us to be careful and not drink too many diet soft drinks.  Just think - if you drink four 12-ounce cans of Diet Coke Plus a day, you'll get your daily requirement of vitamins B6 and B12.  I'm guessing this is Coca Cola's way of trying to get a market share of the energy drinks?

The anticipation grew until lunchtime when I opened the bottle and tasted the new Diet Coke Plus.  I have to honestly say it tasted weird. I expected it to have that crisp taste just like regular Diet Coke but it didn't; it tasted like it was slightly flavored with cinnamon or strong vanilla or maybe some other flavor that I just can't put my finger on.  I let a co-worker taste it and he agreed with me - it had a flavor that he couldn't figure out, either.  I drank it with my lunch and have to admit that it wasn't bad; it was just different.  The weird flavoring isn't strong like the flavored Diet Pepsi Jazz soft drinks that I tried, but it was strong enough to be noticable. 

If they were on sale or if I had a coupon, I would buy Diet Coke Plus again.  Even though it tasted a bit weird, Diet Coke Plus receives the TWIT Seal Of Approval.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd rather pop a multi vitamin and wash it down with a Cherry Coke Zero.