Friday, April 6, 2007

It's Not Supposed To Be This Way

It has been one wild weather week here in the Ohio Valley.  I'd venture to bet that there's not too many places in the country where you have the air conditioner on one day and the furnace on the next.  After a week of temperatures in the mid 80s, we started off this week with sunshine, heat and humidity.  Tuesday afternoon before the massive cold front moved through, it was 84 degrees.  The storms hit, and the high Wednesday was 40.  It's been cold ever since. 

I braved the cold and watched my beloved Louisville Bats win their season opener last night, but not before I bundled up.  I had on two pair of socks, my thermal long underwear, a t-shirt underneath a long sleeved t-shirt, my big down-filled winter parka, scarf and gloves.  And believe me when I tell you I was not overdressed.  It was the norm last night at Slugger Field.  As we sat there watching the game and seeing our breath everytime we spoke, I thought that this must be how the Green Bay Packer fans feel at Lambeau Field during football season; you just don't expect to have to wear a winter parka to a baseball game.  But the weather gets crazier.  This evening, as we drove downtown for the Good Friday service at church, I had to turn on the windshield wipers because it was snowing so hard.  Yes, you heard me.  It was snowing. Hard, too.  In fact, it snowed off and on most of the day.  At times, you could hardly see it was snowing so hard.  I think this is a first for me:  driving in snow going to an Easter service.  But it makes sense to me, though; I remember about ten years ago, going to a Christmas Day service wearing just our shirts over our arms - no coats nor jackets because it was so warm. 

It's supposed to be very cold tomorrow and on Easter Sunday.  I feel sorry for the kids going to Easter egg hunts tomorrow.  If it's windy like it was today, the eggs will be blown everywhere.  And I know the cold weather will put a damper on women wanting to wear their spring dresses on Easter Sunday.  But I guess we'll just have to wait awhile to wear our spring clothes until it warms up - which might be July.

 

No comments: