Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Keep Up The Good Work, Samkon

This weekend, I had an experience that not many people get to have: I met an NFL player that was on fantasy football team this past season.  How cool is that?  The player is running back Samkon Gado. 

I met Samkon at church this Sunday.  He was at Walnut Street this weekend to speak at the annual sports banquet, and he was at the Sunday morning services as well.  He spoke during the services, giving his testimony and talking about growing up in Nigeria and his college days at Liberty University in Virginia.  During his four years at Liberty University, the football team had the worst record in the country. During his senior year, he sat the bench most of the season, but got to start as running back with the team's two running backs were injured. It was during that game when NFL scouts noticed Samkon, and were impressed.  To quote Samkon, he said "The NFL liked me because I was big and I was fast."  After graduating with his B.S. degree, the Kansas City Chiefs signed him to their practice squad.  He was injured during training camp and was released.  Samkon said he questioned about continuing on with a career in the NFL or doing what he said he felt called to do -- medical missionary work.  He said that he prayed and asked God to lead him to a missionary field that desparately needed help; little did he know that his answer would be in the NFL.  Two weeks later, he was contacted by the Green Bay Packers to try out, and was signed to their practice squad. He was sixth on the depth chart.  Within two weeks, all five running backs on the roster were injured and Samkon played in his first NFL game. Incidentally, he said that was the first NFL game he ever attended.  He continued on with the Packers and after starting the 2006 season, was traded to the Houston Texans.  During his time with Green Bay, he set some impressive franchise records for a rookie: most rushing yards in a game (171) and most touchdowns in a season (7).

After the church service ended on Sunday, most of the congregation rushed out to make it to Sunday School, since the service had lasted a bit longer than usual, but I stayed a few minutes to meet Samkon.  I thought there would be a big crowd around him, but there was only a couple of people talking with him when I walked up.  I shook his big strong hand and thanked him for sharing his story with us today, and I smiled and told him how I proudly had him on my fantasy football team this past season.  He smiled a huge smile and thanked me for having faith in him and his football abilities.  I thanked him for being such a great influence and hero in a time when usually all we hear are stories of professional atheletes being arrested.  He shook my hand again, and smiled and asked that our church pray for him and his work.  I assured him that we would.

No comments: