Friday, October 23, 2009

Flashback Friday

It's hard to believe that it's been ten years ago today that my Grandma died. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a 10 x 18 photo of this picture hanging on my bedroom wall. It has all to do with the fact that we all lived together and that she raised me while my parents worked during the day, and that she was the first person to show me what unconditional love was all about.

She was in the nursing home for almost ten years before she died. And I'm not ashamed to admit that it took me about a year to come to grips and deal with the fact that she wasn't at home with us like she had been all of my life. To this day, I can't listen to the Vince Gill song "When I Call Your Name" because it reminds me of that period. But I eventually was able to deal with it and accept it, and enjoyed all of the awesome memories I had of Grandma.

She was truly one of the most awesome people that I think ever existed. She loved to crochet, loved listening to Englebert Humperdink and Conway Twitty records, loved drinking orange soda, and hated mushrooms on pizza. She had a keen sense of intuition, and could size up a person after only being with them for a few minutes; and she was rarely ever wrong on this.

One of the most awesome and profound things she said during the last few years of her life will stick with me forever. She was talking to a friend of mine and said "Old time friends - they're the best." I couldn't agree with you more, Gram.


1 comment:

Toots said...

Still have some of the cute little things Grandma made me. She was a wonderful woman.