Friday, October 9, 2009

Flashback Friday

We've had a lot of rain in the past twenty-four hours, and as I type this, it's still pouring. It's been a yucky day, but I have to say I've really enjoyed my last day of vacation because it's been awesome napping weather. But I digress. Yesterday morning, they were calling for bad storms and flooding in the area; thank goodness here at The Compound it hasn't been too bad, but we sure have had a lot of rain. And in the past day or so, I've kept a steady watch on Doppler radar on the computer. Then I reminisced and wondered what we did before the days of Doppler.

Back in the day, all the weatherazzi had to rely on was the radar, and in some extreme cases, the station helicopter, to bring the latest weather news. When bad storms were in the forecast, we just had to wait it out - we didn't have Doppler radar to check on the computer or our cell phones. And if my memory is correct, my family didn't even rely that much on the weatherazzi for the forecast - they checked the forecast in the daily newspaper. Or better yet, they went outside and looked at the sky or the sunrise or sunset to predict what the weather was going to be. And now, we can't do without the weatherazzi and trusty Doppler, that can pin-point the exact moment that a storm will hit a certain area. We sure have come a long way.

No comments: