Friday, October 11, 2013

West Virginia Reflections

It's good to be back here at The Compound after working in West Virginia.  Even though I was only there a couple of days, it feels like I was gone a couple of weeks.  While I was there, I made some observations.

1. There are very few liquor stores in West Virginia, particularly the Huntington area where I worked and stayed.  Not that I was looking for a liquor store; there just were very, very few around.  However, the WalMart that I visited had a liquor section what was as big as the entire Beverage Warehouse on Dixie Highway.

2.  In keeping with the theme of few liquor stores, there are few bars in West Virginia.  Once again, not that I was looking for a bar, but in Louisville, there is one on every corner. 

3.  While West Virginians don't seem to want to drink very much, they more than make up for it in eating, because there are food buffets everywhere.  You could have thrown a rock from the hotel I stayed at and hit three of them.  I guess the West Virginians would rather eat than drink; makes sense, since the obesity rate for that area is one of the highest in the nations. 

4. West Virginians must love hot dogs, because there are hot dog stands all over the place.  And I'm talking old school drive-ins that sell mainly hot dogs.  This is just fine with me, since hot dogs are one of my favorite foods.

Other than these things, Huntington was almost identical to Louisville.  The city is on the Ohio River, just like us, and they are building up their riverfront with restaurants and entertainment.  Overall, it's a great city, and I will definitely go back to visit. 

No comments: