Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Memories

I apologize first, because normally I can quote the exact day of a previous event, but for this one, I'm not really sure.  All I know is that it was in the early- to mid-90's. 

The time was probably mid-90's, and it was the time when I decided I was going to get into singing and playing the guitar publicly.  A friend at church and I had worked up some songs, and we were certain that the world, or at least the rest of Louisville, wanted to hear us.  We had a catchy name for our duo, "The Right Combination", and we had our big performance at the Valley Country Jamboree.

The other half of "The Right Combination" was my church friend Angela.  She is still one of the best pianists I've ever had the pleasure of hearing, and she is also a great vocalist.  We just knew that the south end would be bowled over by our two songs at the Valley Country Jamboree. 

We both looked awesome for our big performance - I remember Angela wearing big hoop earrings and walking on some stiletto heels while wearing a black blazer and very cool skinny jeans.  I had on jeans, a navy blue velvet blazer and was also wearing a navy blue Bolero hat that my boss gave me to wear.  A dozen or so family and friends were there to support us as we performed, and I cannot express the thrill I felt when I heard the applause after our first song.  I'm sorry but for the life of me I don't remember what our first number was.  I do remember that our second number was The Judds "Love Is Alive".  I don't think that Angela and I have ever sang that song any better than we did that night on the stage of the Valley Country Jamboree.

No comments: