Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tonight, I Was Prejudiced And I'm Ashamed Of It

After our regular monthly visit to the nursing home with the Ladies Auxiliary, Mom and I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home. Like that is a surprise; given the fact that I stop by there at least every other day like clockwork. But I digress. After a visit in the canned biscuit section we were walking back up to the front of the store when we encountered a group of five or six male PATs. They were dressed in hoodies pulled way down over their faces and a couple had on sideways ball caps - typical gangsta wannabes. They were walking straight toward us laughing and talking loud, and I will admit for a second I was a bit uneasy. Mom and I stepped aside so we could get out of their way. As we were stepping aside, I heard one of the PATs say something that made me almost drop my bag of organic baked tortilla chips. He said "I'm sorry, ma'am. Excuse us." With that, they all smiled at us and went on their way laughing and talking loud like before. I think their mamas would be very proud of them.

1 comment:

Toots said...

I guess you can't always judge a book by it's cover.