Monday, January 5, 2009

My New Year's Resolution

This week the gyms will be just jam packed with people who made New Year's resolutions to lose weight and get in shape. Then in a month or two, the gyms will be empty after the people gave up on their resolutions. This year, I didn't make a specific resolution, although I did vow to continue my healthier eating regimen and daily bike riding. But I did resolve to do something. In fact, I resolved to do quite a few things. At the end of the day - each an every day - I resolve to go over this list and answer each question honestly. I challenge you to do the same in 2009.


  • Did I stand and deal with a feeling? I may have done it awkwardly, but did I do it?
  • Did I do something differently today than I would have done a year or two ago? Even a little differently?
  • Did I reach out to someone and allow myself to be vulnerable?
  • Did I start to get into shame or negativity, then become aware of it and get myself out?
  • Did I do something nice, gentle, and loving for myself?
  • Did I do something for someone else that felt good?Did I do my work well today?
  • Did I deal positively with a bad day?
  • Did I practice gratitude or acceptance?
  • Did I take a risk?
  • Did I set a boundary, enforce a boundary?
  • Did I talk honestly and openly to someone and feel we got a little closer?
  • Did I own my power in a way that was good for me?
  • Did I take responsibility for myself in a way that I might not have before?
  • Did I take time for prayer or meditation?
  • Did I trust God?
  • Did I talk to God and turn things over to God?
  • Did I let someone do something for me?
  • Did I start to get caught up in someone else's issues, then practice detachment?
  • Did I go on with my daily routine, when what I wanted to do was sit and obsess?
  • Did I listen to myself, trust myself, and see how well that worked out?
  • Did I hold my own with someone who tried to manipulate or control me?
  • Did I nurture myself instead of criticizing myself?

No comments: