Sunday, January 18, 2009

Link Of The Week

Since I've been eating healthier for the past eleven months, I've become more conscious of what I eat. In addition to reading the nutrition labels on foods, I've also become concerned about where my food has come from, and more importantly, what chemicals and preservatives that have been pumped into it. Now before you get your britches in a wad and say "Puddin has become one of those tree huggers", let me explain. It's no big secret that the farmers use pesticides and fertilizers on their plants in order to get us the fruits and vegatables that we love to eat. And we all know that ranchers give antibiotics or other supplements to cattle and chickens while they're getting them fattened up to go on our dinner table. But do we take the time to think that everything that has been put on or in what we eat is going directly in our bodies? Just this week I had a major epiphany. I bought a very pretty Pink Lady apple at a local grocery store to take to work. As soon as I picked it up from the bin, it felt very tacky. I scraped my fingernail across the apple and was disgusted at the amount of waxy substance that was on the apple skin.

I know that everyone can't afford to pay extra for the organic produce and meats in our local grocery stores, but I found a way you cut out the middleman and buy directly from local farmers. Visit http://www.localharvest.org and just enter your zip code and you can find farmers' markets in your area where you can get organic produce and meats cheaper then in the grocery store. Plus you'll be helping out your local farmers, too.

No comments: