Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ice Storm 09, Day 5

I apologize, but I just could not bear to say anything yesterday about Ice Storm 09. And believe me - it's all I can do to write about it today. We're sick of everything being covered in ice, and more importantly, today we're sick of ice shrapnel pelting down on us from all of the limbs, power lines and gutters.

It makes me sick to report that we've had numerous deaths in the 'Ville over the past few days because people were too ignorant and had their generators in their basements. Yes, in their basements. That makes me sick at my stomach. But at the same time, I'm overjoyed at the outpouring of help in the city over the past few days. People that were able to get out have been travelling all over the city, checking on the eldery and homebound, making sure they were OK. We were mobile as of yesterday, and I spent this afternoon making the rounds checking some of our older folks from the VFW.

Personally, I've saved money this week during Ice Storm 09. I haven't made my almost-daily trip to Wal-Mart since last Monday, and haven't been able to visit the VFW in over a week. Hell, I haven't been anywhere except work. So I've saved money this week by being snowed and iced in. We haven't gotten on each other's nerves too bad at home, either; I retreated to my room or the back bedroom to ride the bike when I felt like we've had a bit too much togetherness.

But all things considered, The Compound weathered Ice Storm 09 very well. Sure, we had a lot of limbs and small trees down, but at least we never lost power. It's still pretty bad out there if you don't have 4WD vehicles, and we hope that all of this will melt before we get the next big snowstorm on Tuesday.

No comments: