Saturday, May 26, 2007

What's In A Name?

I've heard some very bizarre first names in my 40+ years. Some of the more unusual ones are two Ladies Auxiliary women named Travis and Toby.  I know a little girl named Justice, and a few girls named after the seasons - Summer and Autumn.  I also know a few boys named after states - Dakota, Wyoming, and Washington.  I thought I'd heard it all in the names department until this morning.  Mom sent me up to the good ol WC Lounge (aka White Castle) to pick up a bag of burgers for lunch.  I was standing at the counter waiting for my order when I heard a young woman behind me start yelling "Trapper, get back here."  At first, I thought she had snuck a dog inside the White Castle and was yelling at him for running off.  I glanced in her direction and discovered that she was yelling at her son named Trapper.

As a first name for a child, "Trapper" is definitely a new one on me.  Now for you MASH fans, it's not uncommon - we all remember Trapper John from the show.  But that was a nickname that the other doctors and personnel at the MASH unit gave him.  I can only hope that this was a nickname that family members gave this kid, because I would hate to go through life with the first name of Trapper.  It's like a name you'd expect an old mountain man on a rerun of "Gunsmoke" or "Grizzly Adams" to have - not a little boy. 

No comments: