Monday, May 14, 2007

Something You Don't See Everyday

I was on my way home from work this afternoon when I witnessed Something That You Don't See Everyday.  It might even fall into the category of "Something You Don't See" period.  As I was driving down busy traffic-filled Cane Run Road, I came across a man driving a riding lawn mower. He wasn't up on the sidewalk, nor was he mowing the grass by the road - he was driving it along with the regular traffic.  He was in front of the car in front of me, and instead of getting in the left lane to pass him, I stayed in the right lane just to see what he was going to do.  Imagine my surprise when he pulled into the Cork 'n' Bottle liquor store.  Imagine my further surprise when he pulled up at the drive-thru window. 

By the time he pulled into the liquor store, he was about 4 or 5 cars ahead of me, so I would have had ample time to pull out the cell phone and take a picture of him with my camera phone, but believe me when I tell you that I was stupified and was unable to focus my attention on the phone to even take the picture.  I could do nothing but just stare in disbelief.  Never in my life would I even imagined seeing a man on a riding lawn mower going through the drive-thru window at the liquor store. But I will say that it reminded me of a story I read years ago back in the 70s. A true story, in fact.  The First Lady Of Country Music, Miss Tammy Wynette, was married to George Jones, and after an argument about his drinking, she hid the keys to their cars. George wanted to get his drink on, so he got on the riding lawn mower and rode it to town. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The whole neighborhood knows....Jones is home drunk again".