Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Gas Price Update

Gas prices are still at an all-time high here in the 'Ville - $3.31-$3.39 a gallon, depending on which part of the county you're in.  It's just beyond outragious, if you as me.  One of my cousins, who happens to be one of the city's best car mechanics, gave us some advice this weekend.  He fixed our rototiller last week, and when he brought it back (in excellent working condition, I might add) he said that the problem was the gas that it had been using.  He went on to say that in lieu of the $$$ fuel injector and fuel pump repairs that I had on the Blazer a few weeks ago, that we should be using the non-reformulated gas in our vehicles and lawn equipment.  Jefferson County has the reformulated gas, but just miles away down Dixie Highway in Hardin County in the scenic river town of West Point, you can get the non-reformulated gas. 

I'd heard friends and neighbors say that for years, they'd made the 10+ mile trek to West Point to get gas because not only was it better for your cars, but it was also cheaper.  I'd thought it was just an urban legend until my cousin gave us the info last week.  So today after work, I headed out to West Point to fill up the Blazer and see for myself.  Sure, it was a tad bit farther than I'd care to go to get gas (it was exactly 13 miles from the gas station to The Compound) but the gas there was 20 cents cheaper per gallon then is it a half mile up the road.  Plus it's the good non-reformulated gas. 

I'll keep track of my milage, and when I fill up again I'll report what my miles per gallon was.  Then when I fill up again, I'll get gas in my 'hood and compare the two.  I'm anxious to see if my milage is better.  But even if the milage is about the same, I'll probably continue to get my gas at West Point just because it's not reformulated.  I need all the help I can get with my two old cars.

No comments: