Friday, May 11, 2007

Flashback Friday

As a kid, I loved Icees.  The only problem was, the closest store that had an Icee machine was about 3 miles away, and I wasn't always able to whine and cajole my parents into driving me up to the Magik Mart to get a cola flavored Icee.  For times when I couldn't get them to take me to get an Icee, I had to rely on my Slushee Mug.  Mom and Grandma got it for me at the grocery store, thinking it would pacify me -- I could have an Icee any time I wanted one, they told me.  I was reluctant, but thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't quite like a real Coke Icee, but it was pretty darned close. 

I've talked to a few people this week who've never had the pleasure of owning a slushee mug.  Boy, do I feel sorry for them.  In case you're one of the unfortunate few, let me explain.  The slushee mug was in two parts - the white inner part that had the freezing "stuff" inside, and the outer part with the handle.  You simply froze the inner part overnight, and then pop it into the actual mug, and then pour any type of beverage into it, and after a few minutes of stirring, you've got a slushee.  Granted, I could never get mine as thick as the ones they showed on the commercial, but it was definitely slushee nonetheless and it kept me from bugging Mom and Dad to take me up to the Magik Mart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My slush mug was green.  I was the best slush maker on my street.  The trick was to pour in cold coke, let it set for about 3-4 minutes and then stir.  They were thick as can be.  I loved my slush mug with all my heart and I used it constantly.  One day it finally cracked and the liquid stuff leaked out.  I had to throw it away.  A few years back I found one in a catalog and ordered it.  I still have it.  It's a new version, not as cool as the original, but it works the same.  I must admit, I haven't made too many slushes with it, but boy....back in the day I was queen.  Me and my slush mug.