Thursday, May 31, 2007

File Under: WTF?

Wendy’s manager shot over chili sauce
Drive-through customer gets angry about denial of extra condiments
The Associated Press
Updated: 10:44 a.m. ET May 31, 2007

MIAMI - A Wendy's manager was shot several times in the arm early Tuesday trying to protect the restaurant's chili sauce, authorities said.

A man in the drive-through argued with an employee because he wanted more of the condiment, police said. The worker told the customer that restaurant policy prohibited a customer from getting more than three packets.

The man insisted on 10, reports said. The employee complied, but police said the customer wanted more.

When the manager came out to speak to the man, the customer shot the manager, Miami-Dade police spokeswoman Mary Walters said. He was taken to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The shooter fled with a female passenger.

"I did not know I got shot," store manager Renal Frage told WTVJ-TV in Miami. "When I went back to the office, I saw blood pumping out of my arm, and I was shocked. I was checking myself out and couldn't believe I got shot over some chili sauce."

Frage added: "I got shot over chili sauce. I was trying to figure while in the hospital why someone would shoot me over some chili sauce."

I really don't know what to say about this.  I've gotten hacked at the drive-thru, but I've never thought about shooting the person at the drive-thru window nor the manager.  Take today, for instance.  I ran down the street to our local Wendy's to pick up something for lunch.  The drive-thru was unusually long, and there no cars in the parking lot so I parked and went inside to order.  I specifically asked the girl behind the counter for a "hand full" of ketchup.  She put 3 packets in my bag.  Not once did the thought enter my mind to shoot her.  

As for the limits on packets of condiments, there are no signs at our local Wendy's saying there is a ten packet limit on the hot sauce for the chili.  Maybe the guy should have sued Wendy's instead of shooting the manager.   

No comments: