Thursday, October 20, 2005

VFW, Here We Come . . . Hopefully

I'm on pins and needles, waiting with breathless anticipation, and just about every other phrase you can think of to describe waiting for something.  We should be hearing from the national headquarters of the VFW any day now to see if Dad will get to join.  You see, if he gets to join, that means that I can fulfill a lifelong dream of joining the VFW Ladie's Auxiliary. 

I've wanted to join the Ladie's Auxiliary ever since I was in elementary school.  A group of ladies from the very post that I will hopefully be joining came to Greenwood Elementary one day when I was in the third grade.  They were very impressive - all decked out in uniform shirts and very cool hats. They were there with a few of the VFW members for a ceremony when we got a new American flag.  After seeing them, I knew then and there that I wanted to join when I got older.  But the VFW rules say that you can only join the Ladies Auxiliary if your husband, father, grandfather or brother is/was a member of the VFW.  Well, I'm not married, so that one won't work.  Plus, I'm an only child so that leaves out the brother connection.  And both of my grandfathers were not in the war and weren't VFW members so my only hope is on my Dad's strong shoulders.  As you all know from previous journal entries, he's a Navy veteran.  He served during the Korean War, and was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska, when Alaska was still a foreign territory and not yet a state.  So after much discussion with the folks at the Mill Creek VFW Post, they said that he should be able to become a member. So we sent in his application last week, and are waiting for the official confirmation.  I wonder if John Roberts was this nervous a few weeks ago?

I've already gotten a few strange looks this week when I told people about hopefully getting to join the Ladies Auxiliary, but I don't care.  It's something I've always wanted to do.  Since I finished with school a few years ago, I've wanted to join some type of club. But I'm picky - I don't want to join one of the business ladies clubs, where all they do is meet once a month and have lunch while listening to a speaker talk about women dealing with stress; I wanted to join a group that did something good for the community.  The VFW does alot more than have a weekly bingo; they support local and national charities, and do charity fundraisers, and most importantly, they honor our veterans. I'll keep you posted, and my faithful readers will be the first to know when we hear the official news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I belong.........I joined years ago on my husband, and the American Legion aux. I joined off my father....both fine organizations.