Tuesday, October 4, 2005

I Guess I Would Do The Same

All the buzz today on the news was about the President nominating his personal lawyer Harriet Miers for the vacant position on the Supreme Court.  The headline on "Good Morning, America" said "Bush Helps Out His Crony."  I thought about this on the way to work, and I came to the conclusion that if I were in his position, I would have probably done the same thing. 

If I were President of the United States, I would reward my peeps. I, too, would probably nominate my personal lawyer, Leslie Van Arsdale, for a position on the Supreme Court.  I would do it out of loyalty to her for a job well done.  She's helped out me and my family over the years for a fraction of the cost that other lawyers charge.  She helped Grandma with an inheritance she got a few years before she died, and she's done my parents and my wills, and helped us out on a few other things.  On top of being a good, honest lawyer (which some would consider an oxy-moron), she also owns an appliance store.  When she wasn't deciding over matters about our Constitution, she could sell you a refrigerator or stove. She's always been just a phone call away, and is an awesome lady.  Plus, she sold us our Frigidaire stove for cost.  If that's not worthy of a Supreme Court position, well I don't know what is. 

I would probably also appoint my hair stylist Denise for some Cabinet position.  I would do this strictly out of thanks to her for all of her work over the past 25 years as my hair stylist. She's always able to work me in within a few days when I call for an appointment. Plus, she's only knicked my ear one time in the 27 years that I've been going to her; I think that makes her a good candidate for Secretary of Something. 

On a bi-partisan viewpoint, I guess it makes sense for people in high places, like the presidency, to appoint friends and colleagues to positions;  they do it all the time in the business world. I would do the same just to say thank you for your loyalty and service.  Maybe one of my friends or colleagues would do the same for me if they were President.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're(Bill here at work) thinking this would be okay, but have you raised enough money to run for Mrs. President? I'll vote for you.........I'm sure you can do a better job than the monkey that's in there.