Sunday, October 30, 2005

Link Of The Week

On our first family vacation to California in 1976, my relatives took us to San Jose.  Aside from the incessant joke of "Do you know the way to San Jose?" during the ride there, it turned into a very cool part of my summer vacation.  The reason being, we visited the Winchester Mystery House.  No, it has nothing to do with the Scooby-Do Mystery Machine.  This is the 160-room Victorian house built by Winchester rifle heiress Sarah Winchester.  Construction on the Winchester house took an amazing 38 years.  It's filled with stairs going to the ceiling, and windows opening up to a wall. 

I won't give away the good parts of the story of Sarah Winchester and her mystery house - I'll let you read them for yourself at http://www.prairieghosts.com/winchester.html.  You can read why Mrs. Winchester worked on this project until her death at the age of 82.  This seemed like pretty good reading for the night before Halloween. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We flew out to San Jose on a Friday the 13th when they have the flashlight tours.  I must say this mansion was intriguing and I would love to visit again and take the daylight garden tour.  It was amazing how the woman obsessed about what she perceived to be the Winchester curse.  I urge anyone visiting the Bay Area to drive to San Jose and visit the Mystery House.