Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Buster, Turn In Your Badge

I heard an interesting story this morning on "The Bob and Tom Show" about a police dog that was being forced into early retirement.  It seems that Buster the German Shephard is too friendly with the crooks he's supposed to nab.  After only six months on the beat, Buster is leaving the force and will be placed with a family as their pet.

Officials at the South Yorkshire Police Department in England said that the two-year old Buster performed well during his 14-week training, but once he hit the streets he slacked off.  On one occasion, Buster walked right past a suspect hiding in a garden of a home and stopped to pee.  The article didn't say if he peed on or near the suspect.   During another police pursuit, Buster gave up mid-chase across a golf course and just laid down on the fairway.  I can't say that I blame him - I'd probably done the same thing, too.

Police patrol the streets in England at pub closing times - when the streets are filled with the drunks going home.  When the drunks would stagger past Buster, he would just wag his tail and eat their pub fries instead of deterring the potential trouble makers.  His handler said "he showed no interest in doing the job."  If the police in England are anything like the ones here on this side of the pond, I'd be willing to bet that alot of them show no interest in doing their job, either.  If dogs could talk, I bet Buster would say "I just don't want to be a cop."  I bet he's a big sweety, though, and I'm sure he'll be great with his new family. 

No comments: