Thursday, October 27, 2005

Is It QWERTY?

I don't brag about this, but I've always considered myself a techo-geek.  Ordinarily, I don't like to label people, but you have to call a spade a spade.  Whenever a new gadget comes out, I have to buy it, and I try to stay informed on all the happenings in the world of computers and electronics.  Just like this week - I had to run out and buy a flash/thumb drive, just because it's a cool gadget, and because a couple of co-workers have them.  Anyhoo, something else happened the other day that confirmed my position in techno-geekdom: A friend was telling me about a new wireless text message device they just bought, and the first words out of my mouth were "Is the keypad QWERTY?" My friend fired right back "Oh yes, it's small, but it's QWERTY."  I was very impressed. Another friend there with us had a "WTF?" look on his face. I went on to explain to him that QWERTY means that the keys on whatever you're talking about are the same as on a standard keyboard (back in the day, we would have said the keys are the same as on a typewriter).  The clueless friend was really clueless that evening, because he didn't know why we used the term QWERTY.  After sighing heavily and rolling my eyes, I explained that QWERTY are the first line of alphabet keys on a standard keyboad. "Oh, OK" was the response.   

A few years ago, if someone had said I would be using the term QWERTY in a conversation, I would have told them they were crazy. But it made perfect sense this week.  Hmmm Maybe I'll get QWERTY on a personalized license plate. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

guess who has an Orbison license ordered for next year?
You Got It.....his biggest fan