Saturday, June 20, 2009

Flashback Friday A Day Late

I apologize for being a day late on Flashback Friday. I was working on a project for school last night and lost all track of time.

As I was riding the bike last night in the 92 degree heat and high humidity, I thought back to the ways that we tried to beat the heat when I as a kid. Of course, this was in the pre-a/c days. Our house has an attic fan, and I remember Grandma and Mom always reminding me to keep the bedroom and bathroom doors shut during the day so the fan would bring the air in through the windows in the family room and kitchen. In the afternoons, I would lay down in the hallway underneath the attic fan where it would be nice and cool and take a nap. Sometimes I would go down to the basement and take a nap on my inflatible raft that I would use at the pool. Yes, even as a young kid I loved to take naps. But I digress. When the heat would be unbearable, I would go back to Grandma and Grandpa's bedroom to take a nap or play because they had a window a/c unit in their room. They were older, and had some minor heart issues so they had an a/c in their room. Now before you jump to any conclusions, I didn't live in their room 24/7 during the summer as you might think, given my fondness for air conditioning. I would go in there for an hour or two during the afternoon to read or watch TV with them if they were in there. But from what I remember, they spent most of the day out on the back porch. Guess they were tougher than me.

No comments: