Friday, February 22, 2008

Ice Storm 2008 Review

I'm deviating from the usual Flashback Friday to give you a recap of the past 36 hours while we've coped with the big ice storm.  It started yesterday morning before lunchtime, and kept up pretty much all day long.  At about 10:00, the county schools announced they would start letting schools out, and an hour later, Mayor-For-Life Abramsom asked that all employers start letting their workers leave.  This announcement must not have reached upper management at ZCO because we were there until normal quitting time.  I received a dozen emails, voicemails and text messages from friends yesterday morning saying they were getting to leave work early.  Let me say thank you to them for briefing me. 

There was a break in the freezing rain yesterday evening, and the weatherazzi had our hopes up that the temps would rise during the night and the freezing rain would turn to regular rain.  Wrong.  We woke this morning to a fresh layer of ice on everything.  But yesterday when I got home from work, I had an idea while I was still in the garage.  I rummaged around and found my old golf shoes with the rubber cleats on them and slipped them on and trudged carefully into the house.  And your darned right I wore them to work this morning.  Thank goodness they kept me from falling on the ice and busting my ass. 

Things were still pretty icy this evening - the ground was still covered and there were still some slick spots in parking lots and driveways but at least the roads were cleared.  But we still have one more thing to worry about - we still have ice, and the temperatures and humidity has caused fog, so now we have a fog warning for tonight and tomorrow.  As long as the fog lifts enough for me to see how to get to the courthouse before noon tomorrow so I can get my driver's license, I'll be OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now there is an excellent idea...cleats!  I sure was picking my way carefully this AM on the porch, slick stuff!