Saturday, February 2, 2008

Happy Ground Hog Day

I'm not sure where to start with the official Ground Hog Day report, faithful readers.  It just depends on which ground hog you talk to.  Punxsutawney Phil, from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, did not see his shadow.  Yet, the pictures we saw on TV showed him being yanked from his home and being held up in the air by some man in a tuxedo and top hat.  Phil went back into his hole, indicating 6 more weeks of winter.  Well, if I'd been dragged out of my home like he was, I would have ran back in there, too. 

Big Boy, the official ground hog at The Compound, did not see his shadow, and the legend has it that winter is over.  But don't get excited yet; Big Boy didn't see his shadow only because he didn't come out of his hole today.  And I believe he didn't come out of his hole because he knew that Dad was waiting for him with the shotgun. 

To sum up Ground Hog Day 2008, I guess we'll just have to poke our heads out of our homes, and see if we run back in or see our shadows.  Personally, I'd like to have my one big snow before spring gets here.  Until then or 80 degree weather, I think I'll stay inside of my hole, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to have a good snow in our area, its been a few years since Southern, MD has had one.  Love being snowed in, with warm stew or soup cooking..fake fire in my case because real wood burning gives me migraines (sad, I know but true) and my family around me watching old movies or funny sitcoms on TV.  

Anonymous said...

I agree!  Being snowed in for a day or two would be just delicate (provided there were electricity and running water)!  As for the soup or stew...I think I'm in the mood for a big pot anyway.  I'll go check the fridge for ingredients.