Friday, July 2, 2010

Flashback Friday


Here we are - at the beginning of the Fourth of July holiday weekend, and my mind drifts back to the days of my kid-dom when we would go buy nickle and dime fireworks at the neighborhood store down the street. They only carried sparklers, smoke bombs and snakes, but for me, that was good enough. I especially liked the snakes. I guess because I was a rebel at heart and it pissed off Dad and Grandpa because the snakes left a nasty black stain on the driveway that they could never quite wash off.
We didn't care about all of the illegal fireworks that other people brought back from Tennessee - we just liked our smoke bombs, sparklers, and snakes.
Today, kids beg and bug their parents to drive ten minutes away across one of the bridges into southern Indiana where they can peel major $$$$ and buy the bigtime fireworks. I don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about them pestering me to peel $$$$ to buy bottle rockets, Roman candles, and fire crackers. But I have to say I'd have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money just to burn it all away. But I digress. Today is all about the fun we got when we lit one of he snakes that came from a box that cost a dime. I'm guessing that kids today wouldn't be nearly as mesmerized as we were with them.

No comments: