Monday, July 12, 2010

File Under: WTF?

It was a very bizarre day at work, faithful readers. The youngest member of my department, a 22 year-old guy, had to leave at 1:30 because today was the day he was going to break up with his very obsessive and possessive girlfriend of 6 or 7 years. Yes, he had to leave work shortly after lunch to deal with this. All I could do was shake my head in disbelief.

I'll apologize in advance if I'm being a hardass but I'm sorry - you just don't leave your job for half a day because you're breaking up with your significant other. You just don't do it. Business is business and personal is personal, and the two simply do not mix. I've had to deal with a few things way more significant than breaking up with a significant other during my 21+ years at my company, and I'm proud to say that I never had to leave work after lunch to deal with it. Some may think I'm blowing this out of proportion but it's just the way that I feel about it. The younger people today just don't have any sense of job responsibility. I don't know what he told our boss - I don't know if he told her he needed to leave because he's getting ready to break up with is girlfriend or if he told her he just needed to leave. I've typed and retyped a paragraph or two and ended up deleting it, so I'm going to leave this for what it is.

No comments: