Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Conversation With Mom

It's just a few days before Mother's Day, and as I type this I am in the midst of a deep conversation with my Mother that I never thought I would have : we've been talking for quite a while about terrorism. Katie Couric had just finished talking about the terrorism scare last night in New York City where they found an abandoned U-Haul truck on one of the bridges. Luckily it turned out to be just an abandoned truck. But with the attempted terrorist attack last weekend in Times Square, terrorism is back in the limelight in the news.

Since I've been taking classes in security management for a year now, I guess she was looking to me for words of wisdom. Unfortunately, I didn't have many for her. I just explained how we as ordinary citizens need to be aware of things around us and if we notice something that doesn't look right, or see something that makes us feel uneasy we need to report it to the police or other authorities. Other than praying, that's unfortunately all we can do here in our homes.

In response, Mom said "Well, we should be praying already. But it wouldn't hurt to pray extra for our country's safety." No, Mom, it sure wouldn't.

No comments: