Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thank Goodness I Forgot My Coffee, Part 2

It's been yet another bizarre week in the land of TWIT, faithful readers.  This past Tuesday, I had a date to meet a friend of mine to pick up a couple boxes of flavored teas that he picked up for me from a health food store by his office.  I was on the Watterson Expressway, aka 264 East, and had just pulled over into the lane heading to the Bardstown Road exit ramp when less than 200 yards in front of me, something happened that I will never forget. I saw a red car shoot across 3 lanes of highway and ram head-on into the concrete median.  I saw parts flying everywhere, and thanks to the good Lord that I and the other cars around me weren't tailgating, and we were all able to get around the car without running into it or the median.  Then in what seemed an eternity, but in reality was only maybe a second or two, the car flipped over a few times before landing on its roof.  There was no front end left on the car from the impact with the concrete median.   As I said, I was in the lane heading to the exit ramp, and when I got to the end of the ramp and was stopped at the stoplight, I had gained enough composure to call 911 and report the accident.  Believe me when I tell you my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. 

I gave the information to the 911 dispatcher, and then headed on my way to meet my friend, still freaking out inside while driving very carefully.  About an hour later, I received a call from the Louisville Metro Police Department, asking me to tell them my version of the wreck.  I asked if the driver had been killed, and they said they couldn't release that information, which meant they had been.  And I saw it all happen in just a matter of a second or two.  I still can't figure out what happend - the car probably had a tire blow out, and that could have caused it to shoot straight across the highway.  All I know is that it freaked me out bigtime because it was the second time in a week that I saw a wreck happen in front of me and I was luckily spared.  I thank the Lord that I was driving sensibly and keeping safe distances both times.  All I know is this, and last week's narrow escape have made me think. 

No comments: