Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

It's been an unusual Thanksgiving Day for me.  For the first time in years, it was just the 'Rents and me having dinner.  Our good friend Lenora couldn't make it this year, so it was just the three of us.  Even though Mom was a bit under the weather, she still baked the prettiest turkey I think I've ever seen - it was golden brown, and could have been used on a show on the Food Network.  We had all the usual - dressing, dumplings, candied sweet potatoes, etc., and it was an awesome meal.  But it was just a bit different.  It's amazing how much difference having just one more person here for Thanksgiving dinner makes.  Now, don't get me wrong - the three of us enjoy eating dinner together.  We look forward to our 5:30 suppers every night, but we enjoy it even more when someone is eating with us.  It's not that we don't find each other interesting; it's just that we like being able to have someone eat with us who would have otherwise spent the meal alone. 

Lenora called us a few minutes ago after she'd gotten home from her niece's where she had Thanksgiving dinner, and told us that she really missed seeing us today.  We told her the feeling was mutual. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had the company and pretty turkey!  My cake was a hit with my dad and mom.  I don't think anyone else wanted to dare try it.  It was a sweet potato cake (sounds weird, I know).  Anyway, I made it from scratch and it will probably be the last time I make it, LOL.  Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I bet her turkey was a majestic bird indeed.  Has anyone tried the White Castle hamburger stuffing that came about a few years ago?