Friday, November 23, 2007

I Hope They're Happy

Before we had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, we watched the noon news and saw a news report that was very disturbing.  They showed people that were already lined up before noon yesterday to be the first in line when they opened Best Buy at 6:00 this morning.  They interviewed a mother and son. They had a canopy, a little heater, 3 blankets and some bottled water and they said that they would be okay, even when the nighttime temperatures dipped down below 30.   The news reporter didn't say what time those people got at Best Buy yesterday; but I'm guessing it was probably after breakfast. 

I thought about that couple last night when I was having a glass of egg nog in my nice warm home at about 8:00, and I wondered what kind of deal would cause people to wait in line that long.  I personally know a few people who waited in line for a couple of days to get some Play Station game system a year or two ago.  If they want to take off from work and go stand or sit in line for days, then good on ya.  But for me and my house, there ain't no way. The older I get, the less patience I have.  I'm not so sure I would have waited over night if they were giving the stuff away.  To some, it might be the thrill of the chase; to others, it might be the sastisfaction of knowing they got a great deal.  To me, it's just not worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its economics in motion.  I am with you though, material things are not worth discomfort to such a point that I would place myself or child in a cold environment!

Anonymous said...

It's ridiculous that corporate retail greed starts earlier and earlier each passing year thereby ruining the sanctity of the Thanksgiving holiday.  I suspect next year in addition to Kmart, other stores will join the throngs of greedy retailers wanting to exploit the holiday.  Wal-mart and Meijer started sporting Christmas trees and decorations back in September.  From what I've read, the day after Thanksgiving shopping tradition started back during World World II as a gentle reminder to ensure delivery of gifts to our service members fighting overseas.  Now it's an ordained free for all.  I wouldn't be surprised if next year malls start installing tent cities in the parking lot to make the victory of shopping similar tailgating parties at football games.

Anonymous said...

Now there's an idea -- tailgating in the shopping center parking lot before the doors open!  That might be the way to get me to the stores!