Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cooking At The Office

Yours truly caused quite a stir at the office yesterday.  Ever since we had a catered lunch two weeks ago for the office, my co-workers in my cubicle and I have been craving hashbrown casserole.  The two helpings that we had a the catered lunch didn't quite fill us up, and we'd talked about the hashbrown casserole ever since.  Even though I don't cook, I decided to make one and bring it to work.  I didn't want to cook it the night before and then have to warm it up at work, and I sure as heck didn't want to get up even earlier and fix it before work.  So I had the brilliant idea to mix all of the ingredients together before work, put them in a disposable aluminum pan, and bake it in our very cool convection/toaster oven in our lunchroom.  And it worked great.

I was the talk of the first floor.  People first noticed it before lunches when they would come into the lunchroom for coffee.  Then it caught the attention of the early lunch group, who all wanted to know what I was cooking when I came in the lunchroom to check on it.  The smell was awesome, and I have to say that it looked pretty, too.  The convection oven browned the top of the casserole and it looked like something that should have appeared on the front of Paula Deen's magazine. 

My co-workers gave me two thumbs up for my first attempt at hashbrown casserole, and they even gave me a great suggestion, too.  They said that I should put together a proposal for the Food Network for a show about cooking in the office lunchroom.  I'm working on it already.

No comments: