Monday, November 26, 2007

File Under: WTF?

I was reading a magazine this holiday weekend - something that I normally don't take the time to do - and an advertisement caught my eye.  It was for deoderant.  But not just any deoderant - this was for "clinical strength" deoderant.  The ad said "For prescription strength wetness protection without a prescription."  I had no idea there was such a product on the market.  I did some research and visited the product's website and found some interesting info about this clinical strength deoderant. 

First of all, it said it was "clinically proven, prescription strength wetness protection."  Now, wouldn't you hate to have been in the lab working on the tests for this product? I'd like to know just how this has been clincally proven.  Did they put people in a room and crank up the heat to about 120 degrees with 100% humidity to make them sweat?  Then, the site said the product has "odor fighting capsules that absorb odor and release a scent all day to keep you smelling fresh and clean." That's some pretty powerful deoderant - if you sweat enough to need prescription strength wetness protection all day long.  Then the site said it had "skin soothing conditioners." So I guess besides giving you prescription strength wetness protection, it also smoothes and soothes your skin. 

This product raised a couple of issues.  Do people actually sweat so much that they need a doctor to prescribe a mega-strong underarm product? I've never actually seen (or smelled) a person like this.  I don't know about you, but personally, I don't want to be around a person who sweats so much that they need a doctor to prescribe a deoderant that strong.  Even if the prescription strength deoderant works, it would still be kinda gross to witness a person sweating that much.  And furthermore, with all of the talks about aluminum in deoderant being linked to cancer and Alzheimers, I think I'll pass on the prescription strength deoderant and just use my Secret. It seems to work fine. 

No comments: