Saturday, November 24, 2007

I Shouldn't Have Strayed

Today's journal entry is brought to you courtesy of one of my favorite guest writers, Diva Stacy.  After she told me this tale earlier, I told her she had to put this in TWIT for all to read. 

I have this problem with stress and anxiety.  The slightest little thing can trigger an anxiety attack for me; going to the grocery without my list, a mom screaming at her kid at the MegaMart, even going to a "different" Kroger (I only like one).  For this reason I am extremely loyal to the stores where I shop.  I know where things are and for the most part I know what to expect.  I don't like surprises.  So yesterday when I drove to my favorite children's consignment shop, Kiddie Kloset, and discovered they were closed, I should have just gone on home.  Instead, I decided to drive a couple of miles down the road and go to the bigger, more commercial consignment shop.  Big mistake.
 
Now let me back up a second and tell you that before I went to this consignment shop I met Puddin' at our favorite neighborhood fish and beer joint (also on my list of familiar places). (Editor's note: this joint has the best fish in the 'Ville.  Maybe even in the state.  And I know Diva Stacy will back me up on this.)  Even though they are renowned for their fish, make no mistake, it's a beer joint.  We were there a good hour or so while we visited and enjoyed a refreshing beverage.  So I leave there and end up at the consignment shop.
 
The irony in this story is that I heard more yelling and foul language in the 15 minutes I was able to endure at the children's consignment shop than I heard in an hour at the beer joint.  I kid you not, I heard one white trash dad tell his daughter (who appeared to be about 6) that they were there to buy for her brother and she didn't need any more f-ing clothes (only he didn't say f-ing).  I lost track of how many times I heard someone tell their child they were going to bust their a$$.  And no one spoke softly, everyone was yelling their expletives.  It was amazing to me how no one seemed to care that they were cursing in front of their children, more importantly cursing AT their children.
 
And we wonder why 9 year olds curse at and assault teachers?!?

No comments: