Friday, November 9, 2007

Flashback Friday

                                          

I happened to notice a co-worker's Velcro tennis shoes the other day, and they reminded me of a shoe that I hadn't heard about in over twenty years: KanraROOS.  In case you don't know or don't remember, KangaROOS were basic tennis shoes that had a Velcro or zipper pocket on the side of the shoe. They were popular back in the 80's.  Back in the day, the KangaROOS were mainly Velcro or lace-up tennis shoes, but apparently they're making a comeback, because today they come in very stylish running shoes and cool winter boots. 

KangaROOS first came on the market in 1978 with their patented pocket design.  They were aimed at joggers - giving them a place to carry a house or car key or a couple of dimes in case they needed to make a phone call.  They were popular in New York City and other areas with subways, because the pocket on the shoe was the ideal place to put an extra subway token.

I didn't have a pair of KangaROOS, but I do remember seeing commercials for them on MTV.  I was in college and working part-time, so I didn't have alot of disposable income at the time, so every spare dime I made went towards a new pair of Calvin Klein jeans or else I would have bought a pair of KangaROOS.  I looked at the KangaROOS website and have to say that their fall 2007 collection are very cool, and if they come in wide widths, I just might have to buy a pair. 

 

No comments: