Friday, December 31, 2010

Farewell, 2010

As I sit here on New Year's Eve, it's time to say goodbye to 2010. Before 2010 is gone, I need to thank 2010 for some things.

I need to thank you for teaching me the value of patience. For over twenty years at work, I waited and waited for the day that I would get a big promotion, and in the last few weeks of this year, it finally came through - I was promoted to department supervisor. Thank you for giving me patience and diligence. This past year was exceptionally hard, with all that we dealt with as a department. It was a hard year on all of us in our little cubicle, but I thank you for giving me patience. It finally paid off.

I need to thank you for giving me discipline this year. My classes in my Master's Degree program progressively got harder, and I thank you for showing me the power of discipline. I'm getting ready to start on my last class, and I'm very proud to say that after all classes so far, I've kept up my streak of straight A's. It wasn't easy; most nights I spent at the desk studying. But it's paid off.

I need to thank you for the health and happiness of my family. Mom and Dad are doing great, and I am so thankful to have them with me.

I need to thank you for showing me the awesome power of prayer. This summer and fall, many others and I prayed for little Brooklynn, and thanks to the power of the Lord, she is still with us and is doing just fine. As I told a friend back in the summer, the only thing the Lord cannot do is fail. And many many thanks for that fact.

I need to ask for a couple of things in the new year, too.

I need to ask for continued discipline and focus. This weekend I will start on my Master's Thesis, and I ask that you help keep me disciplined and focussed. I really need to ask for the ability to say "no" when friends start calling and wanting to go out. In nine short weeks it will all be over and I will be the proud owner of two Master's Degrees, so I just need to keep that goal in sight.

I need to ask you to be easy on my parents and friends. Don't be too hard on them. They made it through 2010 fairly unscathed, so please go light on them.

I need to ask you to help me as I start a new chapter in my life as the department supervisor. We're all not sure what you have in store for us next year, but I ask that you give me wisdom, understanding and more patience. And above all else, help me to never lose sight of the Golden Rule -- to treat others as I want to be treated.

Thank you again, 2010, for all that you taught us. And we look forward to what 2011 has in store.

No comments: