Thursday, July 14, 2005

This Really Bugs Me

Yesterday was like "The Birds" and "Ground Hog Day" all rolled into one.  About an hour before quitting time, I had to make a trek out to the tool room in the old part of the building.  From our cubicle to the tool room is almost a quarter of a mile.  That has nothing to do with this entry; I just threw that in. Anyhoo, to save a few steps, I cut through the shipping department and walked across the loading dock.  Huge mistake.  As soon as I reached the loading dock, I looked toward the door going to the tool room, and saw a huge swarm of little bugs.  I trotted across the concrete, and was flailing my arms and swatting at the swarm with my reports.  Needless to say, I didn't use that route on my return trip. 

Once I got back the office, I walked in on our big boss telling a very animated story that happened to him an hour earlier with a swarm of these bugs.  He had gone outside for something during our 2:00 break, and made the mistake of opening his mouth to speak to someone and a couple of the tiny bugs flew in his mouth.  Ewww. I felt my skin craw as I typed that sentence.  He told us that when we left work, to have our keys already out and to run like hell for our cars.  Not a good sign.  Fortunate for us, it was raining when we left work, so there were no bugs in sight.  That is until we went a mile down the street where it wasn't raining.  A co-worker had given me a ride down the street to pick up the BMW, and hand to heaven, I had to sit in her SUV for a good minute and a half to wait for a swarm of the tiny bugs to dissipate before I got out and went inside to the shop. After getting the car, I headed downtown to meet a friend for coffee, and yes, you guessed it, saw more of the tiny bugs downtown on Main Street. 

When I got home last night, I checked with the 'rents and a few neighbors, and they hadn't seen any big swarms of tiny bugs. But when I got to work today and was walking about it with my big boss, a co-worker chimed in and said that he, too, came across a couple of the swarms of tiny bugs in southern Indiana yesterday.  It's just weird.  But I'm glad they weren't bugging us today.

No comments: