Saturday, July 2, 2005

I Can't Get A Break, Part 2

I hope this weekend is not an indication of how the next week and half is going to be while I'm charge of The Compound while the 'rents are on their annual trip to Canada. 

Not to mention the unfortunate incident with the BMW's power steering yesterday afternoon, I was involved in a scuffle at the grocery store yesterday morning.  It happened at about 8:05 at Buehler's Fresh Market.  I was there just an hour after they opened to take advantage of their one-day meat sale.  Before the 'rents left in the wee hours Friday morning, Mom left me with a list of things to get.  One of them was thin bacon on sale for the low, low price of 99 cents.  I got to the meat aisle, and the shelves were empty.  I couldn't believe the bacon was already gone.  I went on over to the pork section to get my Boston butt roasts, when I saw one of the workers pulling a cart full of boxes of the cheap bacon. I bolted over there, and so did every other person in the store.  I couldn't believe I was reaching for 3 packs of bacon, just like a drowning person would be grabbing for a life preserver.

After all of the drama yesterday, I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept in until 9:30 this morning.  After coffee and reading the morning paper, I went out to water the garden, just as I had been instructed by Dad.  Well, I think he must have left out about a dozen steps in the instructions, because it sure wasn't as easy to do as he said.  "It's no problem - the sprayer will reach half of the garden at one time."  Uh huh.  If you're about 7 feet tall.  I had to end up dragging the 100 feet of hose all over The Compound in an effort to get all of our garden watered.  The whole time, the donkeys were staring at me in amazement.  If they had been given the gift of speech, I'm sure they would have said "What in the hell is she doing?"  After taking a break for lunch, I went back out and dragged the hose back across the next-door neighbor's yard and watered their garden (they're on vacation, too).  That wasn't much easier.  After cutting my leg on a stake in their booby-trapped garden,  I cussed and fussed but still finished watering their garden and then dragged the hose back across to our yard.  I just left it there and came into the house to put some witch hazel on my leg so it wouldn't bruise.  As soon as I finish my refreshing beverage, I'm taking a shower and a nap. 

Stay tuned.  I'm sure there will be more antics in the week ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I under the frustration of yardwork.  My recipe for alleviating the rigors of yardwork is to imbibe on several icy beverages before attempting the feat especially in hot weather.  The alcohol content certainly makes one a little more impervious to the blood, sweat and tears when pulling weeds, mowing grass, and yes, navigating the mangled, Medusa-like 100 foot garden hose.  The soaker hoses, although more water conservative, are even worse in rethreading around the yard.  I was so doggone intent in keeping the bluegrass a vibrant green during the drought that by the time it was over, wondrous visions of fall and winter swirled around me like those heinous dog pecker gnats.  I'm looking forward to the non-sweat activity of blowing a foot of snow off the driveways and sidewalks with the Toro.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally, MP.  I stopped before church this a.m. and bought a "Deluxe Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler".  If I can get the settings correct, it should water our entire garden without having to be moved.  Then the only hard work will be to drag the bizillion-foot garden hose across the field to the vacationing neighbors' garden and set the sprinkler up to do their watering.  But yes, never fear, there will be refreshing beverages within arms' reach at all times during the duration of my gardening.  

And yes, bring on the snow so all we'll have to do is just walk behind our beloved Toro snow blowers.