Wednesday, July 6, 2005

A Bountiful Harvest

Yesterday was a day that will go down in infamy.  It was the day that the Divas picked vegetables from the garden.   I'm happy to report that in my 5 days of being in charge of the garden at The Compound, there has only been one casualty: a stalk from one of Mom's jalapeno pepper plant.  But it's only bent, and the peppers are still growing on it, so I think we'll be able to salvage that.  

The Divas took the garden by storm, and in about an hour, we had picked green beans from all 3 long (62 feet long, to be exact) rows of bean plants, and got a few heads of cabbage, half dozen yellow squash, a few zucchini squash, and various peppers.  Our first harvest was quite bountiful.  But it didn't take us long to realize that we weren't cut out for the agriculture industry. During the harvest, we both kept humming the theme from "Green Acres."   At one point during the green bean picking, I lifted a handful of green beans up to the sky, and in my best Scarlett O'Hara imitation, proclaimed "If I have to lie, cheat, steal or kill, as God as my witness, I'll never pick green beans again."  A lot good that did me.  Stacy turned around from the row in front of me and said "Fat chance, sister. These will be ready to pick on Thursday."  Oh well.  It was a nice try. 

The 'rents, and pretty much everyone else we've talked to, all doubted our gardening abilities, so we had to take a picture of our bounty from the first day of picking.  Before they left on their trip to Canada, Mom and Dad gave us both detailed instructions on what/when to pick, etc.  You'd think they didn't trust us.  Some doubting Thomases will say that we probably paid someone to pick it for us (and believe me, the thought did cross our minds) because we weren't in the pictures picking. But let's be real here - do you think the Divas would want their picture taken with our heads down and our butts up in the air as we were bent over working?  I don't think so. Trust us.  We did pick the stuff ourselves.  Our backs are telling us this morning that we picked.  If the donkeys and Rocky the dog could talk, they would vouch for us.

No comments: