Monday, July 11, 2005

The Smartbag

A good friend and faithful reader shared one of his pet peeves with me a few days ago. I think we all will agree with him on this.  The subject: the unwritten rule of turn signal override.

When using a cell phone while driving, one does need to concern themselves with using a turn signal for changing lanes or turning. The fact they are on the phone overrides any need for being safe or courteous.  The phone comes on, and then the erratic driving begins.  Case in point: my 'rents.  One week after they got their new Odyessy mini-van, a #$^&* ran into the rear of them while they were stopped at a stoplight.  The #$^&* was talking on her cell phone and did not see that a big vehicle, in this case, a mini-van, was at a dead stop in front of her.  When the police came, she tried to worm her way out by saying "It had been raining and the road was slick."  The officer quickly reprimanded her and said "All the more reason for you to pay attention and not be talking on your cell phone while driving."

We all are guilty of this sin; yours truly included.  But I use my Jabra wireless headset and I don't touch my actual cell phone from the time I get into the car until I reach my destination.  I can simply reach up with one hand (while keeping the other hand firmly on the steering wheel) and touch one button on the headset to answer the phone call.  If I have voice activation for my most frequently dialed numbers, so I don't have to pick up the phone and punch buttons.

My friend said that he is going to petition for the next generation of airbags to be dubbed a “smartbag”. The “smartbag” will first check to see if you are on the phone before it inflates. If you are holding a cell phone at time of accident, it will allow you time to hang up so that it doesn’t interrupt your conversation. One day when all the cell phone-using drivers are dead, the road will be a safer and friendlier place. Thus, the “smartbag” name. This innovation can't come soon enough. 

No comments: