Monday, December 26, 2011

My Top Ten Food Memories From Christmas Past

It seemed that every person I talked with over the past two days all mentioned at least a couple of different foods they were going to have for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Now, before you start to chastise me, I'm the first to say that food is a major huge part of the Christmas celebration for us all -- cookies, jam cakes, the ham, egg nog, and everyone's favorite, Chex Mix.  I did some thinking last night and here are my Top Ten Food Memories From Christmas Past (in no particular order):


1. Christmas Eve 1999 -- my aunt and uncle were still here in KY, and each of us had our favorite fast food for Christmas Eve supper (Taco Bell, Arby's, and McD's)



2. Christmas Eve 1995 -- Dad and I made egg nog, and had enough for most of Jefferson County to have at least one cup

3. Christmas Day 2010 -- we deviated at The Compound and instead of the traditional Christmas dinner of ham or turkey or whatever is considered traditional, we had ribs cooked outside on the grill and awesome hot potato salad

4. Every Christmas Day that I can remember -- we always had homemade fruit salad.

5. Every Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve Eve since 2000 -- we've always had White Castles for lunch

6. Every Christmas season that I can remember -- we always have homemade oatmeal raisin cookies

7. Every Christmas that Grandma was living with us -- she always made fudge, bourbon balls and potato candy

8. Santa always leaves a Lifesavers candy book in my stocking

9. Every Christmas Eve since 1995 -- we've always had peel-and-eat shrimp for our Christmas Eve supper

10. Every Christmas Eve until 1972 -- we would always leave a Benedictine sandwich for Santa Clause. In 1972, I started to develop my reasoning and deductive skills, and realized that my Grandpa (who lived with us) was the only person I knew that liked Benedictine, well, except Santa.

No comments: