Friday, December 9, 2011

Flashback Friday

For weeks, I've been looking for something I remembered as a little kid: brick ice cream. You could only find it at Christmas. It was simple - a slice of ice cream wrapped in wax paper. You could get two kinds -- green and red, or white and red. And you could only get it at Haywood's Dairy. We had it every Christmas until my early twenties, when our neighborhood Haywood's closed. It was one of my favorite Christmas foods.

As I said, for weeks I've been looking online and in stores, hoping to find my brick ice cream. But I didn't have any luck. Until today. A friend from church, VD, emailed me this morning and she had found that we still have one Haywood's Dairy here in Louisville. And it was only 5 minutes from my office! I called them as soon as I read her email, and imagine my surprise and excitement when they said they still had the brick ice cream.

I couldn't wait till my lunchtime to head over and get it. I got four boxes, just so I'll have enough for the next couple of weeks. But if I run out, I can always get more.

I had a slice for supper tonight, and it tasted as creamy as I remembered. And as soon as I post this, I'm going to have one more slice before I go to bed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: