Thursday, December 8, 2011

Maxey, I Salute You

I cannot believe that I was a goofball yesterday and totally forgot to mention another Pearl Harbor survivor that I had the honor of knowing.  We'll call him Maxey - that's what most people called him.  Maxey was a dear friend of our family for probably fifty years. He served in the Army and was on duty at Pearl Harbor during the horrific attack on Decembeer 7, 1941.  I remember him telling the stories of how in the days and weeks, and months after the attack, he and other troops had set up camp inside an old inactive volcano there in Honolulu. 

After he was discharged from the Army, Maxey joined the Teamsters and was a truck driver until he retired in the mid-80's.  Even though I enjoyed all of his truck-driving stories and his tall tales about school-bus sized catfish in the Ohio River, I enjoyed hearing his stories about Pearl Harbor most of all.

No comments: