Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where's Horton When You Need Him?

                   

The Rents spent most of today outside working in the yard and garden - getting the ground ready for planting in a couple of weeks.  Mom was back behind the little red barn getting a few shovels full of old donkey manure for some of her flower beds when she made a bizarre discovery: inside the pile of manure she found a big egg, pictured above. 

Dad walked a few houses up to talk to one of the neighbors, and imagine his surprise when our neighbor showed Dad a pile of horse manure that also had a big egg in the middle of the pile.  I'm sure they both had a WTF look on their faces.   After discussing possible scenarios, they reasoned that the eggs belonged to one of the geese that have been hanging around our 'hood for the past year.  I bent down and examined the egg, and from my estimation it's about two times as big as a regular egg.  Mom said at first, she thought it was a plastic Legg's egg leftover from the Easter egg hunt a few weeks ago.

After Dad showed me the egg and I took the photograph, he carefully covered it back up with the manure, in hopes that it would hatch soon.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not realize geese buried their eggs!  Wow amazing!  Urban girl here, LOL.