Saturday, April 5, 2008

I've Had A Change Of Heart

There's a story that's floated around our company for the past ten or so years about a woman named Moe.  Yes, a woman named Moe.  Moe has a reputation for being the worst clerk in a store or fast food restaurant in our area.  It's very unfortunate, because Moe has worked in just about every fast food restaurant within a 5 mile radius of our company.  We first encountered Moe working at Wendy's, where she was pretty snotty. Then she moved on to Subway, McD's, and the Chinese restaurant.  Regardless of the place she worked, she always treated people the same: she would be as nice as can be to the men, and hateful to the women.  Before we go any further in this story, let me say that this is not just my interpretation nor opinion of Moe; there are others at work who can back me up on this.  But I digress.  I can't be sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Moe probably got fired because of her attitude, and would simply move on to another fast food place in the area. 

Last fall, the Krogers up the street from The Compound underwent a massive renovation and expansion, and on the day of the grand reopening, the 'Rents and I stopped in to see what was new.  We bought a couple of things and then went on to the new checkout lanes.  Imagine my shock and awe when I glanced over at the checkout lane next to us and the cashier was none other than the infamous Moe.  She was checking out an older couple, and once again, imagine my surprise when I saw her joking and being as nice as could be to her customers.  Maybe she had a change of heart, but I sure wasn't going to let her check me out just in case. 

Today, Mom and I ran up to Krogers to pick up a few things, and before I knew what was happening, Mom had pushed the shopping cart into Moe's lane.  I was expecting the worst, and was ready in case she got smart with me like she did one day when she waited on me at the Chinese restaurant.  But lo and behold, she was as nice as could be.  She made small talk while she checked out our groceries and smiled at us as we walked away. 

In continuing with my year of trying new things and also trying to speak my mind more and not stew so much, I'm going to attempt to put the past behind me and move on with Moe.  I'm not going to deliberately lether check me out each time I go to Krogers just to see if I can trap her into being mean to me to prove my point, but if her lane is open then I will give her the chance.  It's time to let go of things in the past and move on.   I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Often when individuals act out on strangers, it has nothing to do with that person but something that is going on with themselves.  Glad she got past whatever had ailed her though and someone gave her a chance to prove herself.