Saturday, April 12, 2008

Happy Thunder Day

It's hard to believe that today is Thunder Over Louisville.  It's a week earlier this year, and I think it caught everyone by surprise, just like the early Easter did.  And in typical fashion, I was nerved up all week long over whether or not the SFs (School Friends) and I would be going today.  You know by now how any plans with the SFs get me nerved up, and Thunder 2008 was no exception.  But with the forecasted high of 49 with high winds and a chance of showers today, we decided yesterday afternoon to abort the mission.  Sure, I'll miss seeing my beloved Bats play baseball today, but we have an entire season ahead of us. 

I'd told the SFs a couple of weeks ago that my personal plan for Thunder would be to put my bike in the back of the Blazer and park about a mile away from ball field, and then ride my bike down there, watch the game and then come back home.  My nerves could not take another year of fighting the traffic to get out of downtown and all of the people crammed into the parking lot where we usually park.  But after being outside for a few minutes earlier this afternoon, I think we made the right decision to watch Thunder tonight from the warm, dry comfort of our own homes.  I just checked on the TV coverage, and people are dressed up like eskimos as they sit on the cold, windy waterfront.  I don't envy them one bit. 

No comments: