Friday, April 25, 2008

Flashback Friday

                 

I've been attempting to do my spring cleaning for the past couple of weeks, and have to admit I haven't gotten very far.  But I did manage to clean out a couple of drawers in my chest of drawers this week, and I happened to find my red pom poms that I used to put on my white roller skates.  I'm very proud to say that they were in pristene condition - as good as the day that Mom and Dad bought them for me at the Eight Red Wheels skating rink up the street. 

Yeah, you're guessing it right.  In order to have pom poms meant I did in deed have my own skates.  I also had a red, white and blue skate case, too.  But the crowning glory of my very own skates were the bright red pom poms with the jingle bell in the middle. Oh how I thought they were badass.  Some of the other girls had the sock-like covers that went over the skates, but I didn't want those; I preferred to show my white leather skates adorned by the red jingle bell pom poms. 

There's not too many skating rinks here in the 'Ville these days, and at the few that we have, you often hear of gang fights.  Most of the skating rinks are now bingo halls, including the now defunct Eight Red Wheels.  I've been to that bingo two times on a Saturday night, and both times I can say that I never saw any pom poms set out on the tables as a lucky charm.  How sad that was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't have skates I wasn't "allowed"  but my sister had them complete with these pom-poms!

~~~Make It A Great Day~~~
              Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

I remember skating to "Little Willie" and "Knock Three Times".