Thursday, July 6, 2006

Yogurt Anxiety

I went grocery shopping with the 'rents Fourth of July morning, and let me tell you it was an exercise in anxiety.  No, there wasn't any family drama.  We found a parking spot right by one of the entrances, and managed to find a shopping cart with all four wheels rolling in the right direction.  We even got some great bargains.  The anxiety happened when Mom asked me to go over to the yogurt section and pick up four cartons of yogurt for her.  There had to be a hundred different kinds of yogurt.  Here's just a few of the choices:  Original, Thick and Creamy, Soft and Creamy, Light, 99% Fat-Free, Fat-Free Light, Sugar-Free Light, No Sugar Added, Fruit On The Bottom, Granola On The Top, Whipped, etc etc.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.  And I haven't even started on the Smoothie yogurt nor the yogurt for kids and babies; that's a whole other list.  The "regular" yogurts are usually on sale; the smoothie yogurt and the kids yogurt is insanely expensive.  Any given Sunday, you can find coupons in the sale papers, plus the stores almost always have a brand on sale.  But you're a better detective than me if you can find the brand that matches your coupon.

When did yogurt buying get so complicated? Back in the day, you had two choices of yogurt: plain or strawberry.  You had Dannon, Yoplait and the store brand. Then came the low-fat diets and our choices expanded.  And then everyone was low-carbing it and before we knew it, our choices were limitless.  Now we have a dozen different brands offering a dozen different types of yogurt.  It's enough to drive a girl crazy.  After staring hopelessly at the rows of yogurt, I found Mom in another aisle and politely asked her if she could be a bit more specific.  Once she told me "Blue Bunny Sugar-Free" I went back and found it within seconds. 

As a kid, I'd heard adults talking about how complicated life is.  I had no idea they were talking about yogurt.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for variety.....LOL
There is the one (and I like it) that helps you be regular.......must have some fiber in it....LOL