Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rockstar Over Kill

If you remember back this time last year, "Rockstar: INXS" was my favorite show of the summer.  I didn't miss an episode, and watched it live every week; I made sure I was home every week and didn't rely on the VCR to tape it for me.  I was so into it I had to watch it live.  True, I didn't like the winner J.D. Fortune, but hey - that's just my opinion.  I sure liked the show, though, so naturally I was excited this winter when I heard there would be yet another "Rockstar" show on this summer.  My excitement quickly faded about ten minutes into last week's first episode. It was sad.  I gave it another week before I made my official opinion.  It's still sad. 

I realize that the singers are trying out for the position of lead singer for a hard rock band, but everyone that I heard on both episodes screams.  They don't sing - they scream.  There's hardly any melody to the songs they sing, and I'd say three-fourths of the singers sing the songs like they've never heard them before.  A lot of singers will go to an audition and are required to sing a song they've never heard before, but they're professionals (or they should be) and can [hopefully] read music well enough to sing the song.  Not this bunch of singers on "Rockstar: Supernova."  I might be too hardass about this, but as I said last summer when I gave my weekly recaps of the show, I know what it takes for me to pay my hard earned money for a concert ticket or a CD, and to me, none of this bunch has "it".  They look the part - almost every one has at least one tattoo and one piercing, and most of the guys wear eye liner.  A lot of the guys and gals wear black fingernail polish, and everyone has either leather or chain accessories.  So they all look the part, but I can't see them fronting Tommy Lee's new band Supernova.  I'll give them all credit for one thing, though - none of this season's singers have the big Broadway voice like so many of last season's singers did. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this.....I was just telling Bill this morning, that I flicked there yesterday.......and I thought, they aren't singing they were shrieking.....But he told me my mind was gone, from all the Orbison I listen too.  Well I'm worry, I'll keep my cd player going...........my ears can't take the Rock.....if that's what it is.
~Barb

Anonymous said...

I didn't spellcheck worry should have been sorry......lol

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Big Mama.  It's true that I love my classic country, but I also love my hard rock.  All of the hard rock I grew up with, you could understand the lyrics they were singing.  Not so with the wannabes on "Rockstar."  In my opinion, the best female rock and roll scream was from Janis in "Piece Of My Heart" - and you could clearly understand every syllable she sang.  The new kids just don't get it.