Thursday, July 13, 2006

More Good Customer Service Reports

In a week where I've personally had terrible customer service experiences as well as hearing friends and co-workers tell their own customer service horror stories,  I have one bright, positive customer service moment to share.  This restores my faith in companies. 

Last Friday at work, I fired up my very cool egg and muffin toaster and made our own ZCO version of Sausage Egg McMuffins for a selected few.  This machine rocks.  It's worth every penny of the $39.99 I paid for it.  You put the egg in the tray, add whatever pre-cooked meat you want to another warming tray, and then put your bread of choice in the toaster, and set it and in four short minutes, everything is done at the same time and you have yourself a great breakfast sandwich.  But I digress.  It had been about six months since we last used the machine, and true to my loser luck, I had lost the instruction booklet that came with the machine, so it took a sandwich or two to get the kinks worked out before I had the machine running like it should.  While I was waiting for one of the sandwiches to cook, I looked at the toaster manufacturer's website online to see if I could find a PDF file of the instruction manual.  Of course, I couldn't.  So I did the next best thing - I emailed the company, and asked if they could email me a copy of the manual if they had it, or if they could contact me and let me know if I could order a copy of the manual.

I honestly didn't think any more about this until today at work when I looked in my mail slot and saw a manilla envelope addressed to me.  It was from the toaster manufacturer.  I opened it up to find the instruction manual booklet.  What a major surprise that was.  Honestly, it has been so crazy this week at work that I forgot that I had even emailed the company in the first place.  When I saw the booklet I thought how cool it was.  Most companies will charge your four or five bucks for a printed copy of an instruction manual; and this company sent it for free.  How cool is that?

So I urge you, my faithful readers, to take a minute to email, call or snail mail a company if you would like an instruction manual.  Don't be cynical like I used to be and think that evey company will totally blow you off.  There are still some great companies to deal with out there.  I wish you the best of luck in finding them.

No comments: